Salt and Togarashi Squid
Calamari anyone? Whether as a main course or snack, this quick and easy Salt and Togarashi Squid recipe is definitely a winner!
Prep time 30 mins Cook time 10 mins Total time 40 mins
- 1kg baby squid, tentacles attached, cleaned
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (50g) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Togarashi spice, plus extra to serve
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten water
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sunflower oil, to deep-fry
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 small red chillies, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch coriander, leaves picked, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- Juice of 1/2 lime, plus extra wedges to serve
- 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
- Aioli, to serve
- Separate squid hood from tentacles. Cut open squid hoods, then, using a sharp knife, score the insides in a diamond pattern and slice into 2cm-wide strips. Remove beaks from tentacles and discard. Set squid aside.
- Combine flour, crumbs, togarashi and 2 tsp sea salt flakes in a bowl. Place egg mixture in a separate bowl.
- Half-fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan with oil and heat to 190C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds when oil is hot enough).
- Working in batches, coat squid in egg, then in flour mixture. Deep-fry for 2 minutes or until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel.
- Combine onion, chilli and coriander in a bowl. Add fish sauce, lime juice and sugar, and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle squid with sea salt flakes, onion mixture and extra togarashi. Serve with aioli and lime wedges.
Click here to buy Togarashi Spice and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: taste.com.au
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.