Enjoy a healthy breakfast delight with a spicy kick in this Spicy Japanese Oat Salad with Togarashi Spice recipe. You'll simply fall in love with this dish!
- 3 cups whole oat groats
- 4 ounces brown rice vinegar (unseasoned)
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon muscavado sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1(+-) tablespoon Togarashi spice (to taste)*
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds*
- 1 sheet of toasted nori finely chopped*
- 4 scallions finely chopped, white and light green parts only*
- Add oats to 6 cups boiling salted water, return to a boil, and lower to a simmer. Cook for 40-50 minutes until oats are just tender. Drain if there is any water left over.
- In a small bowl, whisk together rice vinegar, tamari, nutritional yeast, and sugar until combined. Add in sesame oil and grapeseed oil and whisk until emulsified. Add in nanami togarashi, and whisk again (adding more or less to taste)
- Place oats in a large serving bowl, toss dressing in and mix well. Add in sesame seeds, nori, and scallions and give another good toss. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Click here to buy Togarashi and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Thetomatotart