Yakiton is Japanese grilled pork. For a taste of authentic Japanese BBQ, try this Yakiton with Togarashi Recipe from the Gourmet Traveller for a flavorful Japanese BBQ treat!
- 300 gm pork belly, cut into 3cm x 1cm strips
- To serve: Togarashi spice
- 1 telegraph cucumber, thickly sliced
- 200 gm daikon, thinly sliced
- 100 gm black fungi
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 250 ml(1 cup) brown rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- 60 ml(¼ cup) light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp honey
- Bring a charcoal barbecue to high heat. For pickles, combine cucumber, daikon and fungi in a bowl. Bring remaining ingredients and 60ml water to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar, then pour onto vegetables and set aside over ice to chill and pickle while you make yakiton. Pickles will keep well refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- For soy glaze, combine ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Thread 2-3 pieces of pork onto each of 12 skewers. Brush with glaze, then grill, turning and brushing occasionally, until golden brown and cooked medium (2-4 minutes). Sprinkled with Togarashi and serve with pickles.
Click here to buy Togarashi Spice, and other herbs and spices
Source: Gourmet Traveller
Photo Credit to: Gourmet Traveller