Coconut and Green Lentil Soup in Tunisian Five Spice
Hectic schedule? No problem! We got the quick and easy yet spectacular recipe just right for working people like you. Just imagine the caramelizing onions and the simmering lentils and the aromatic spices in hot butter while you're doing this magic - the Coconut and Green Lentil Soup in Tunisian Five Spice.
- 2 1/4 cups green lentils (or brown lentils)
- 9 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Tunisian Five Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- a pinch of freshly-ground nutmeg
- 2 14-oz cans coconut milk, or to taste
- Combine the broth, lentils, turmeric, and thyme in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until lentils are as soft as you want them.
- When lentils are about half-done cooking (or 10-15 minutes from when you think they'll be done), melt butter in a small skillet on high. (For extra flavor, let it cook till it foams and browns a bit before adding onions.) Add diced onion and cook for a couple minutes on high; then turn down heat and cook over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, until onion begins to brown and caramelize. Add spices and fry for just 30 seconds or until spices are very aromatic. Scrape skillet contents into the big pot, add coconut milk, and simmer for a few more minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Serve with naan or bread for dipping.
Click here to buy Tunisian Five Spice, and other herbs and spices
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.