Seared Scallops with Curried Corn Puree and Green Apples
Forget about plain dishes and make this Seared Scallops with Curried Corn Puree and Green Apples instead. Savor the tart and crisp apples with the sweet and mild flavors of scallops and corn plus the melange of herbs spices and essences from Vadouvan. Delicious!
Serves: 4 to 6Ingredients:Puree:
- 1 Shallot, rough dice
- 2tbl butter
- 1tbl Vadouvan
- 1 green apple, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1lb Corn, organic frozen or kernels cut from fresh ears
- 1/2 – 1 cup cream or creme fraiche
- salt, pepper, lemon and cayenne to taste
- 1 Green apple
- 1 Juice of lemon
Instructions:For the Puree:
- 1 lb Sea Scallops (dry pack)
- 1 tbl vadouvan mixed with 1 tsp of salt
- 3 tbl butter
- 1tbl canola oil
For the Apples:
- Melt the butter and add the shallot, cook until the shallot is translucent.Add the Vadouvan and apple and cook until the apple is slightly softened. Add the corn and cream and cook for approximately 10 minutes.
- Blend in a blender (take the middle part of the top of the blender off and cover with a tea towel to avoid an explosion) or an immersion blender or a cuisinart. (If you want to skip this step, make sure that the shallot and apple are finely diced and cook the mixture until the cream has thickened a bit.)
For the Scallops:
- Julienne the apple and toss with lemon juice
- Dry the scallops very well. I use paper towel and press fairly hard to dry them. Remove the abductor muscle (or don’t – it’s not always tough.
- Dust the scallops with Vadouvan, melt the butter and oil in a pan until it is almost smoking. Add the scallops and do not move them for two minutes – you may need to do this in batches – you want plenty of space so that the temp in the pan stays very hot. Turn the scallops and cook for approximately 1 more minute on the other side.
For the Plating:
Start with the corn puree – place an odd number of scallops on top of the puree (for an appetizer I use three 10/20 size scallops) and top the scallops with about 1-2 tbls of apple.
PS. Leftover corn puree makes a great soup! Add broth or water or more cream and drink up!
Click here to buy Vadouvan spice blend and other herbs and spices
Source: What Harry Says
Photo Credit to: What Harry Says
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.