If you’re getting more health conscious and looking for an alternative dish when your meat consumption is in check, you can always try this Okra and Green Bean Stew with Xawaash spice out. Cooking something healthy and tasty doesn’t have to be complicated. Cheers to good health!
- ¼ cup Vegetable oil
- 1 Medium Onion (sliced)
- ½ lb Okra – Stem ends removed
- 3 Garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tsp Allspice (ground) – Or ½ tsp cinammon + pinch ground cloves
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 3 Large Tomatoes (diced)
- 2 Tbsp Tomato paste
- ¾ tsp Xawaash spice mix
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 cup Water (hot)
- ⅓ lb Green beans – Ends removed
- ¼ cup Cilantro (chopped) – UK: coriander
- ½ tsp Ground black pepper
- Wash the okra and cut the tops off
- Wash the green beans and trim off the tips, then cut them into 1 1/2″ (3 1/4 cm) pieces.
- In a pot set over medium heat, add the oil and fry the onions and okra for 5 minutes. This helps reduce the sliminess of the okra. To reduce it further, cut the okra into smaller pieces. The only drawback is that smaller pieces will tend to disintegrate in the stew.
- Add the garlic, allspice (or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and a pinch of ground cloves). Add the turmeric and stir well. Add the tomatoes and stir well, then add the tomato paste and stir.
- Add the hot water and the green beans. Stir, then cover and cook on low heat for 25 minutes.
- Add the parsley and black pepper, then stir and turn off the heat. Serve with vermicelli rice
Click here to buy Xawaash Spice, and other herbs and spices