Somali Chicken Suqaar or Suqaar Digaag is a Somali dish of cubed chicken tossed with assorted vegetables. It is similar to a stir-fry and seasoned with a Xawaash spice mix, turmeric, and paprika.
Serves 4 - 6
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon Xawaash spice mix
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces (1/2 inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup sliced bell peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Basbaas cagaar (Green chilli sauce) to taste
- In a large pan, drizzle oil over medium heat. Toss in the onion, potato, and carrot. Cover and cook until softened, 8-10 minutes.
- Mix in the xawaash, turmeric, paprika, and salt. Toss in the chicken and stir, browning on all sides, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the water, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the bell pepper slices and cook until softened and chicken is heated through, about 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Season with pepper and chilli sauce.
- Serve immediately with rice or flat bread.
Click here to buy Xawaash Spice, and other herbs and spices
Source: Tara's Multicultural Table