Experience a new twist of flavor for your favorite pasta in this Somali Pasta Sauce with Xawaash Spice recipe. Savor the delectable blend of aromatic flavors that will truly satisfy your taste buds.
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 Green pepper
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 2 lb. Beef (cut into small cubes)
- 1 Tbsp Xawaash Spice
- 2 cans (2 x 796ml) Diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tsp Black pepper (or to taste)
- In a food processor or blender, blend the onions, green pepper, and garlic. Heat the olive oil in a pot set over medium-high heat. Add the blended vegetables and cook for 2 minutes, then add the cubed beef. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. After all the moisture is absorbed, add the Xawaash and brown the meat for 2 minutes, then add the diced tomatoes and the tomato paste.
- Stir well, then add the vegetable seasoning and the sugar. The sugar helps cut down the acidity of the tomatoes. Cover the pot and cook for 45 minutes on medium-low heat. When the sauce has reduced and the oil starts to surface, add the chopped cilantro and the ground black pepper.
- Add sufficient salt to the boiling water
- Add the pasta
- Cook until tender but slightly firm to the bite (al dente)
See video instruction below
Video Credit to Xawaash SomaliFoodBlog
Click here to buy Xawaash and other herbs and spices