Explore the unique taste of Somali flavors in this Zurbian with Xawaash Spice recipe. You can certainly expect a delightful meal that not only satisfies your hunger but also your taste buds.
- ¼ cup (59 milliliters) vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) fresh ginger (grated)
- 1½ pound (680 grams) bone-in lamb shoulder – 2½” (6 cm) cubes
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) Xawaash Spice
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 milliliters) cardamom (ground)
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 milliliters) cinnamon (ground)
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 milliliters) turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 milliliters) ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons xawaash spice mix + 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 cup (237 milliliters) yogurt – plain
- 2½ cups (593 milliliters) boiling water
- 2 medium potatoes – quartered
- 2 cups (414 grams) basmati rice
- 12 cups (3 litres) water – for boiling the rice
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) salt – for boiling the rice
- ½ cup (80 grams) fresh cilantro (chopped) – (UK: coriander)
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) saffron threads
- ¼ cup hot water – for the saffron threads
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) browned butter
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) orange blossom water
- Using medium heat, fry the onions in the oil for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, stir and cook for 1 minute. Add the meat and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the xawaash spice mix, cardamom, cinnamon, turmeric, black pepper and xawaash bouillon powder. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and stir well, then cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the yogurt and stir well until combined. Add the hot water and stir well, then cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and stir, then cover and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Grind the saffron threads then add ¼ cup hot water and stir well.
- Boil 3 litres of water and add 3 tablespoons salt. Wash the rice and add to the boiling water and cook for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Add the fresh cilantro to the meat and stir well. Add the rice to cover the meat and even the top (do not stir the rice into the stew).
- Add the saffron mixture, browned butter and orange blossom water.
- Cover and cook over very low heat for 20 minutes.
Click here to buy Xawaash and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Xawaash