Vegan Eggplant Gyros
Perfect as a snack or meal, this Vegan Eggplant Gyros will definitely be your go-to recipe should your friends come by at your place for a chat!
- 2 eggplants, cubed (about 4 cups uncooked, it will shrink down significantly when cooked)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 2 tbsp. za'atar
- 1 tsp. oregano salt/pepper
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- ½ cup red onions, very thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ cup cucumber, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup parsley, chopped
- 4 pita flatbreads
- ⅓ cup hummus
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- Place the eggplant in a large bowl and rub with olive oil, za'atar seasoning and oregano until well coated.
- You can either roast or use the skillet to cook, both work! If you are doubling the recipe, then I recommend roasting.
- To roast: Place the eggplant in a baking dish and roast at 400 degrees for 30 minutes until very soft.
- To saute: heat a bit more oil in a large cast iron skillet (or other non-stick skillet) over medium heat. Add eggplant and cook for 10-15 minutes until very tender.
- Combine the very thinly sliced onion and vinegar in a bowl. Let sit while you cook the eggplant and make the hummus sauce. Drain before serving.
- Combine the ingredients for the sauce: hummus, lemon juice, garlic, dill and a pinch salt/pepper. Set aside.
- Make the gyros: pile the onions, cucumber, tomato, cucumber and cooked eggplant on the flatbreads. Drizzle with hummus sauce and eat immediately.
Click here to buy Za'atar and other herbs and spices
Source and Photo Credit to: Delish Knowledge
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.