With USimplySeason’s Berbere Spice, cooking yourself authentic Ethiopian food is simply a matter of reaching into the spice cupboard. Berbere is a peppery, smoky, and earthy melange of spices. With such a stunning flavor profile, no wonder it's the flavoring foundation of Ethiopian cuisine!
Unfamiliar with Ethiopian food? No Problem!
USimplySeason’s Berbere is just as magnificent in American Food. A few pinches of Berbere before simmering is an effortless way to perk up your slow-cooker staples like chili or pulled pork. But don't limit yourself, Berbere could be the MVP of your next BBQ, too! Try it as a dry rub on ribs or chicken, sprinkle on freshly grilled and buttered corn, or mix a dash into your burgers for a hidden flavor-bomb!
As always, USimplySeason’s Berbere is hand-blended in small batches, in the USA, by our in-house spice experts to ensure you receive only the freshest and highest quality spices.
- Authentic Ethiopian Spice Blend
- Hand-Blended in the USA
- Perfect for adding even more flavor to BBQ, soups, stews, roasts and more.
- Fat Free, Sugar Free, Cholesterol Free
- Low Sodium
USimplySeason's Berbere Spice is hand blended in the USA with smoked sweet paprika, cumin, turmeric, fenugreek, cardamom, black and cayenne peppers, black pepper, sea salt, coriander and cinnamon.
Fat Free, Cholesterol Free, Sugar Free, Vegan
Anxious to try this superstar spice seasoning for yourself? Here is a fun and easy recipe to get you started:
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 large yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. USImplySeason Berbere, plus more as needed
- 4 Bone-In, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 4 whole hard-boiled eggs
- Basmati Rice or Injera (Ethiopian Flatbread)
How to make...
- Heat butter in a large straight-sided skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until deeply caramelized, about 25 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until softened, 6–8 minutes.
- Add USimplySeason Berbere and 2 cups water; stir well. Season the chicken all over with salt; nestle the pieces in the skillet. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, turning occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes.
- Uncover skillet and raise heat to medium-high; simmer to reduce the liquid until it has a thick, gravy-like consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs; stir to warm through. Taste and season with more berbere and salt, if necessary.
- Serve hot with the injera or rice.
Click here for more recipes that you can use with USimplySeason's Berbere Spice
You might also be interested in
DO YOUR INBOX A FAVOR!
We understand this is a big step in our relationship. We send a max of one email/week.
Fear of commitment? How about an Instagram or Facebook or Twitter follow?