Bite into the tender goodness of this mouth watering Ethiopian Hamburger with Berbere Kertchup. Each bite is bursting with unique Ethiopian flavors that you'll surely love. Use Berbere ketchup to add more spice!
- 2 small onions
- 2 medium roma tomatoes
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. wine
- 1 tsp. Berbere spice
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Berbere Ketchup
- 1 ½ lb. ground chuck
- 6 oz. ground lamb
- 2 tbsp. + 2 tsp. Berbere spice
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup wine
- Canola oil, for the brushing grill
- Sourdough buns, sliced
- Romaine lettuce leaves
Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
To prepare tomato relish:
- Finely dice the onions and tomatoes. Set aside.
- Heat up the olive oil in a pan until shimmering.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and wine to pan. Cook until the tomatoes break down into a paste. Add Berbere spice, berbere ketchup, sugar, and salt. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Allow to cool while preparing burgers.
To prepare burgers:
- Mix ground chuck, ground lamb, Berbere spice, salt, and wine together.
- Form 5 ounce patties, being careful not to handle the meat too much.
- Brush the grill with the canola oil.
- Cook about 4 minutes on each side.
- Take off the heat and allow to sit for 2 minutes.
- While burgers rest, put sliced buns on the grill for under a minute to heat them up, making sure not to burn them.
Add a dollop of the tomato relish and spread on the bottom part of the bun. Place a burger patty on top of the relish. Add a romaine lettuce leaf to each burger. Add Berbere ketchup to spice up your burger. Top with the remaining part of the bun.