Want to delight your kids and family tonight? This easy-to-make Ethiopian Beef Tibs recipe from Gourmet Cubicle will definitely be an instant fave for everyone!
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil (or Ethiopian niter kibbeh)
- 1½ cups medium yellow onion, finely chopped (1/2 medium-sized onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ Tbsp berbere seasoning
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 lb beef (eye of round roast), cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 tsp iodine salt
- 2 jalapeños, deseeded and sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- In a nonstick skillet heat oil over high heat. When the oil easily slides across the pan, add the onions and garlic. Cook for about 4 minutes until the onions become translucent. Stir often so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with berbere and 2 tablespoons of water reduce the heat to medium-high and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add beef and mix well until the meat cubes are well coated with gravy. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the meat is well cooked.If the gravy is too thick you can add another tablespoon of water.
- Add salt, jalapenos, and rosemary. Give it a last stir and let it cook for 3 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. If the gravy isn't spicy enough you can add more berbere.
- Serve beef tibs on injera bread with a side of Misir Wot (Ethiopian lentils) and gomen (Ethiopian collard greens – coming soon).
Click here to buy Berbere and other herbs and spices
Source: Gourmet Cubicle
Photo Credit to: Gourmet Cubicle