Chinese Five Spice Lady Cake
Go out of your comfort zone and put some twist on your fave sweet recipes. Spice blends are not just exclusive for meats and vegetables. The Chinese Five Spice Lady Cake (with Chinese Five Spice Blend) recipe will definitely be your new comfort food!
Makes 8 to 12 servings
- 1 cup cake flour (not self-rising), wheat pastry flour, cornstarch, or gluten-free flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp Chinese Five Spice
- 6 tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream or buttermilk
- You can use regular cake flour, Bob's Red Mill wheat pastry flour, cornstarch, or gluten-free flour. The wheat flour is a little earthier, with a little more tooth. Cornstarch produces a killer fine texture, with tiny little holes in the crumb and a caramelized flakiness on top.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter the bottom of a nine-inch round cake pan. Line with a round of parchment and butter the paper. Dust with flour and shake out the excess.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and Chinese Five Spice twice. Set aside. Combine the butter and sugar in a medium bowl and beat on high speed with an electric mixer until thick and pale, about four minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add 1 egg and beat until thoroughly incorporated. Add the second egg and the vanilla and beat until thoroughly incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat the batter until smooth.
- Add about one-third of the flour mixture and fold in gently with a rubber spatula. Fold in about half of the sour cream. Add another one-third of the flour mixture and fold it in, then fold in the remaining sour cream, and finally fold in the rest of the flour. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert the cake onto a rack, remove the parchment, and let it cool completely.
Click here to buy the Chinese Five Spice, and other herbs and spices
Source: Kelsey McClellan
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.