Tofu Burgers with Caramelized Onions, Peanut Sauce, & Chinese Five
Sink your teeth to this delectable healthy treat in this Tofu Burgers with Caramelized Onions, Peanut Sauce, & Chinese Five Spice recipe. Enjoy every bite!
- 1 block extra firm tofu (14 ounces), drained and cut into 4 thick slabs
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup light coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil, divided
- 2 medium-large onions, halved and thin sliced
- 4 good-quality onion rolls
- ½ teaspoon Chinese Five spice
- Salt and ground black pepper
- ¼ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Sriracha sauce (optional)
- Wrap tofu in paper toweling or a clean tea towel and place on a plate. Place a second plate on top and weight to drain additional liquid, about 10 minutes.
- Mix peanut butter, coconut milk, soy sauce, sesame oil, and ginger in a small bowl; set aside.
- Meanwhile heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook until onions are rich golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes longer. Transfer to plate and set aside. Return skillet to stove, add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, and reduce heat to medium.
- While onions cook, warm the buns in a 300 degree oven and dust drained tofu slices on both sides with Chinese 5 spice, season with salt and pepper, and dredge in panko. Add tofu to hot skillet and cook, turning only once, until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minute total.
- Place a portion of the onions on each bun bottom. Top with a tofu slice and a drizzle of peanut sauce. Serve with slaw (see note above) and extra peanut sauce and sriracha passed separately.
- To save time use a good-quality store bought peanut sauce. There will be leftover peanut sauce so to make a quick slaw toss 4 cups of shredded cabbage and a grated carrot with a few tablespoons of the peanut sauce and a generous drizzle of fresh lime juice or rice wine vinegar.
Click here to buy Chinese Five and other herbs and spices
Photo Credit to: Threemanycooks
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.